Library cards are free to Collin County residents, current City of McKinney employees, and owners of businesses in McKinney.
Residents must be 16 years of age and older with picture identification (for example, a driver’s license) that shows proof of residence. If you are not current on your driver’s license, you may bring in a current utility bill, etc.
Those 15 years of age and younger must have their library-card-holding parent/guardian present to receive a library card. A juvenile of any age may get a library card. The adult is responsible for any materials checked out by the juvenile.
You can self-register for a library card through our library catalog’s online library card application form.
- Please choose a home library (the default branch for your requests and holds of library items) and fill out all requested information.
- You will get a confirmation page confirming your registration along with your new library eCard number, which gives you access to numerous electronic resources, including cloudLibrary. All new cards are digital, so download the Aspen LIDA App from the QR code on the screen or from your devices store (see below).
- To upgrade your account to access all library physical and digital resources, please visit the circulation desk of either McKinney Public Library branch and present your picture identification and proof of residence.
Aspen LiDA App | Digital Library Card
Browse the library catalog, place holds, check out eBooks, and access your digital library card.
Navigating the App
Use the five icons at the bottom of the screen:
- Discover: shows categories such as fiction, nonfiction, bestsellers, children’s award books, and much more.
- Search: allows you to search for specific authors, titles, or keywords.
- When you open any specific item’s page, you can check its availability, place it on hold, or, in the case of eBooks and eAudiobooks, you can immediately check out any available item from the app.
- The same catalog information, plus additional detail, can also be found on our main Aspen website, designed to be easily responsive to your device.
- Card: displays your account's barcode which allows you to check out physical items with your device at the library at our self-check stations.
- Account: shows checked out titles, titles on hold, and allows you to manage the “discover” tab. You can also suspend (freeze), unsuspend (thaw), or cancel a title you have put on hold.
Out-of-county residents may obtain a library card for an annual fee of $10 per individual and $18 per family.
Checking Out Materials
Library materials other than reference items may be checked out for three weeks. Items will automatically renew up to three times if there are no holds or requests for those items. You can check your Aspen LIDA app or the library catalog website for the renewal status of your checked-out items. You will need your library card number and password to log in online.
Checkout and Request Limits Per Library Card is 200 items (including books, DVDs, blurays, or CD audiobooks)
Library Card Renewals
Every four years cards need to be renewed to verify contact information. If you receive a renewal email or text message, send us an email or call 972-547-7323.
Materials can be returned inside either McKinney Public Library location during open hours, or in the outside book drops at either library.
The McKinney Public Library does not charge daily late fines for overdue items.
Any fees on your card (for instance, for lost or damaged items) in the amount of $10 or over will block you from checking out, and items from being automatically renewed. It will also block Cloudlibrary.
Fees may be paid at the circulation desk in the lobby of either library location. You may pay by cash, check, or credit card.
A TexShare Card allows you to have direct access to books and other library materials that are not available from within the McKinney Public Library System. The TexShare card is a privilege for those who have demonstrated a pattern of responsible library usage. Please read the McKinney Public Library System TexShare Card Lending Policy for more information.