Get Your Digital Library Card
Library cards are free for Collin County residents, current City of McKinney employees, MISD employees, and owners of businesses in McKinney.
Apply for Your Digital Library Card
Individuals 16 years of age and older may register for a library card by completing our online library card application form.
- Please choose a home library (the default branch for your requests and holds of library items) and fill out all requested information.
- You will get a confirmation page confirming your registration along with your new library eCard number, which gives you access to numerous electronic resources, including cloudLibrary. All new cards are digital, so download the Aspen LIDA App from the QR code on the screen or from your device app store (see below).
- To upgrade your account to access all library physical and digital resources, please visit the circulation desk of either McKinney Public Library branch and present your picture identification and proof of residence.
16 and 17-year-olds without their own state-issued ID may obtain a card if their parent/guardian has a library card. The parent’s ID may be used for verification of address.
Out-of-county residents may obtain a library card for $10 per year for access to physical materials. Digital materials accessed through the cloudLibrary platform are not available to out-of-county residents starting October 1, 2024.
Those 15 years of age and younger must be present with their library card-holding parent/legal guardian to receive a library card. A juvenile of any age may apply for a library card. The parent/legal guardian is responsible for any materials checked out by the juvenile.
Library Card Renewals
Every four years cards need to be renewed to verify contact information. If you receive a renewal email or text message, send us an email or call 972-547-7323.
Download the Aspen LiDA App
Browse the library catalog, place holds, check out eBooks, and access your digital library card.
Navigating the App
Use the icons at the bottom of the screen:
- Discover: search for specific authors, titles, or keywords and see categories such as fiction, nonfiction, bestsellers, children’s award books, and much more.
- When you open any specific item’s page, you can check its availability, place it on hold, or, in the case of eBooks and eAudiobooks, you can immediately check out any available item from the app.
- The same catalog information, plus additional detail, can also be found on our main Aspen website, designed to be easily responsive to your device.
- Card: displays your account's barcode which allows you to check out physical items with your device at the library at our self-check stations.
- Account: shows checked-out titles, titles on hold, lists, saved searches, and reading history. You can also suspend or cancel a title you’ve put on hold.
Download the Aspen LiDA App
Check Out Materials
Library materials other than reference items may be checked out for three weeks and up to 200 items can be checked out per card. One of each type of kit (Storytime, STEAM, or Adult Book Club kit) may be checked out on one library card at any one time.
- The Library offers automatic renewal of items you’ve checked out. These will be renewed automatically, up to a maximum of three times, unless there’s a hold request on the item from another patron.
- You can check the library catalog website for the renewal status of your checked-out items. You’ll need your library card number and password.
Materials can be returned inside either McKinney Public Library location during open hours or in the outside book drops at either library.
- The McKinney Public Library does not charge daily late fines for overdue items.
- Any fees on your card (for instance, for lost or damaged items) in the amount of $10 or over will block you from checking out, and items from being automatically renewed.
- Fees may be paid at the circulation desk in the lobby of either library location. You may pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Get a TexShare Card
A TexShare Card allows you to have direct access to books and other library materials that are not available from within the McKinney Public Library System. The TexShare card is a privilege for those who have demonstrated a pattern of responsible library usage. Please read the McKinney Public Library System TexShare Card Lending Policy for more information.